Why The DirtBadge?
What is Police Misconduct?
Police Misconduct occurs when an officer violates someone’s constitutional rights. This misconduct can subject the officer and the police department to both civil and criminal penalties.
- It is unlawful for an officer to engage in a pattern of conduct that deprives a person of their constitutional rights
- You must be able to show that it is a pattern- one isolated incident is not sufficient to prove a civil violation
- The court can grant you an injunction that requires the officer to stop the misconduct against you
- A police officer is prohibited from engaging in practices of discriminatory misconduct
- Again you must show that there is a pattern of discriminatory misconduct, before you can bring a case
- Examples of civil discriminatory misconduct include:
- racial slurs
- unjustified arrests
- discriminatory traffic stops
- coercive sexual conduct
Criminal Police Misconduct
- A law enforcement officer cannot deprive any person of his/her constitutional rights.
- There is no requirement that the police misconduct be done in a manner to discriminate
- Examples of criminal police misconduct include:
- Using excessive force
- Sexual assault
- Intentional false arrest
- Intentional fabrication of evidence
If you think your rights were violated by the police:
- Always file a complaint first with the police department or internal affairs division. It is generally a requirement that you exhaust all of your administrative remedies first before bringing a lawsuit.
- After reporting to the police department, the next step is to report the misconduct to the United States Department of Justice or the United States Attorneys office
Food For Thought
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.(Thomas Jefferson)
Report improper actions of law-enforcement. Tell your story.
any information on any violations by any Police Agency may be posted on this blog
List the name of the Department and the alleged violation, date occurred, with a description.
Only We the people can stop the abuse of power and government. We all must stand together to be heard!
/liAlways file a complaint first with the police department or internal affairs division. It is generally a requirement that you exhaust all of your administrative remedies first before bringing a lawsuit.